Electro-optic modulators (EOMs) are an easy to use and efficient tool to externally modify the phase, frequency, polarization, or amplitude of a free-space laser.
In contrast to acousto-optic modulators, the spatial mode of the laser beam remains unaltered. So EOMs are an ideal choice when several frequency components are required in the laser spectrum. For instance in repumper frequency generation in laser cooling and quantum optics, spectral broadening to minimize stimulated Brillouin scattering (SBS) in high power fibers, and for frequency modulation (FM) techniques, like FM Spectroscopy, Modulation Transfer Spectroscopy or Pound-Drever Hall (PDH) Laser Frequency Stabilization. The modulation spectrum of Qubig’s electro-optic modulators ranges from DC-coupled phase shifters to high-Q, resonant EOMs in the MHz to GHz.
Qubig offers a GHz electro-optic modulator that has a custom resonance frequency (f0) from 1GHz up to < 4GHz with a usable bandwidth ~ 1% of f0. The EOM features a large aperture for easy alignment and is optimized for free-space lasers. It is available with a number of options such as temperature control, tunable resonance frequency, fiber coupling, double resonance, and Brewster angles.
The main features of the GHz electro-optic modulator are:
- Custom resonance frequency f0 from 1GHz up to < 4GHz
- Usable bandwidth ~ 1% of f0 (manual tuning available)
- 50 Ohm input, VSWR < 1:1.2
- Optimized for free-space lasers
- Large aperture for easy alignment
- Standard post mounting (M4 or #8-32)
- Any orientation for s- or p-polarization
- Efficient modulation, few Watts of RF power for 1 rad phase modulation
- Max. RF power: 2W (10W with thermal mount)
- Dedicated versions available for low, medium and high laser power/intensity
The applications of the GHz electro-optic modulator are:
- Frequency shifting
- Two-Tone Frequency Modulation Spectroscopy
- Repumper frequency generation (Na-23, Rb-85, K-40, NV centers, Yb-171+ and other ions) for Laser Cooling or Laser Spectroscopy
Qubig GHz Electro-Optic Modulator
Custom resonance frequency f0 from 1GHz up to < 4GHz
Usable bandwidth ~ 1% of f0 (manual tuning available)
50 Ohm input, VSWR < 1:1.2
Optimized for free-space lasers
Dedicated versions available for low, medium and high laser power/intensity